Friday 10 April 2009

Job Search, Day 1 (Intro)

Hello dear readers (if any of ye there be),

Today, I am embarking on London Job Search, Part III. The previous two attempts have been horrifically demoralizing and ego-devouring, so I've decided that I shall set this particular endeavor apart by writing about it, my logic being that at the end, even if I do not succeed in finding a job, I will at least have an interesting chronicle of my search. Also, I hope that regular, sentient reflection will provide some sense of perspective and humor that was lacking in previous attempts. Of course, should anyone reading this wish to employ me, that would be another lovely outcome. And if anyone wishes to reply to this series of posts saying something akin to "all London employers are rubbish not to fight to hire someone of your wit and talents" I shall certainly not be opposed.

Okay. So to start off, I should provide a rough outline of my C.V. Here's what we're working with:

Theatre (Creative): Lots of acting, some directing and dramaturgy, a fair bit of choreography

Theatre (Production/Admin): A year of development & marketing for a rather lovely, smallish company in Philadelphia; 4 years of self-producing in Prague; freelance development & marketing in London since last Sept.

Writing/EFL: 1.5 years of teaching EFL in Prague; 1 in London; 3.5 years of tutoring writing in the US

Office: 10,000 summers (okay, about 7) in a law firm in Harrisburg

Skills: Scarily fast typing (80 wpm), good net skills, competent at most MS programs (apart from Access – what is it for?)

Qualifications: BA English (mcl), MA Theatre, EFL Certificate (not at CELTA b/c I did it in Prague where no one cared. This may become a sticking point later, so stay tuned)

Now, on to the sort of job I am seeking…basically, theatre production job ideal, some EFL teaching/writing tutoring/exam prep would be fine, I'd love to be someone's summer research assistant, I'd enjoy working in fashion retail but my retail experience (not listed above, as quite brief) is in luxury home décor and gourmet food, and I wouldn't mind any sort of part-time, office-y type job. I also at this point do not care if I do any sort of extra/model-y type stuff, as I've done bits of this before and in any case anything I do will be only until October when I will (hopefully) start a PhD. Things I will not do: anything to do with food preparation, water, cleaning products or children under the age of 15. Also, nothing that requires me to wear a name tag (unless it's someone else's name).

One more thing…in the interest of fairness, I will not list the names of any place of employment with which I have dealings by its real name.

And we're off!

No comments:

Post a Comment